Amlodipine; Uses, Side Effects, Dosages
Amlodipine belongs to group known as Calcium Channel Blocker, Amlodpine dilates the blood vessels and improve the blood flow. It is used to treat Hypertension, Angina and other cardiovascular disease. The use of Amlodipine in children less than 6 year of age is not recommended
The FDA approved Amlodpine in June 1996
It is used for Following Condition
Amlodipine is used to treat Hypertension and other Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic Stable Angina
- Vasospatic Angina
Mechanism of Action
Inhibits transmebrane influx of extracellular calcium ions across membrane of myocardial cells & vascular smooth muscle cell without changing serum calcium concentration; this inhibit cardiac and vascular smooth muscle contraction, thereby dilating main coronary and systemic arteries.
Increases myocardial oxygen delivery in patient with vasospatic angina.
Tell your doctor before taking this medicine
- If you are allergic to the active or inactive components of Amlodipine or other medicines.
- If you have Congestive Heart Failure problems
- If you have Liver problems
- If you have other disease, disorder or medical condition
The most common side effect of Amlodipine are :
- Muscle cramp
- Head ache
- Feeling tired
- Extreme sleepiness
- Drugs known to be inhibitors of the cytochrome P450 system (diltiazem, azole antifungals, erythromycin, quinidine, terfenadine and warfarin) increase the sytemic exposure of Amlodpine hence Close monitoring and
dose adjustment may be required.
- Strong inhibitors of CYP3A4 (e.g., ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, clarithromycin) increase the plasma concentration of Amlodipine, hence Avoid concomitant administration of amlodipine with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors
- Concomitant administration of magnesium hydroxide and aluminum hydroxide had no effect on the disposition of a single 5 mg dose of amlodipine in 24 subject
- Blood pressure lowering effect of beta-blockers may be increased by amlodipine.
- There is a risk of increased tacrolimus blood levels when coadministered with amlodipine.
Dosage should be individualized depending on patient’s tolerance and responsiveness.
- The usual intial Antihypertensive oral dose of Amlodipine 5mg once daily with maximum dose 1omg onces daily.(2.5mg maybe strated onces daily)
- Vasospatic Angina 5-10mg
What happens if i miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If you are more than 12 hours late, skip the missed dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Is it Safe to take Controloc tablet during pregnancy and lactation?
Consult your doctor for specific recommendations in any case.
- Pregnancy category C , no evidance of teratogenicity. Amlodipin shoul be used in pregnancy only if the potential benifits justifies the potential risk to the fetus.
- It is not known whether Amlodipine is excreted in human milk
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- औषधिको पछाडि हुने रातो धर्काको अर्थ के हो?
- विभिन्न स्तरका स्वास्थ्य संस्थाहरुका लागि निशुल्क औषधीहरुको सुची
- Pharmacy Students Tips; Every Students Should Know Pharmacology Facts
- Some Drug Antidotes You Must Know !!
- Drug of Choice for Different Disease Condition
Pharma Info Nepal (Nabin’s Blog) is Popular Pharmacy information sharing online platform initiated by Nabin Bist since 2019. Thousands of Pharmacy professionals have trusted Pharma Info Nepal as a right blog to find the latest Pharma opportunities, information & resources for pharmacy updates in Nepal . If you have any complaints, information, or suggestions about the content published on Pharma Info Nepal/If you also like to write an article, please feel free to contact at email@example.com. Thanks for visiting us.
Nepal’s Leading Pharma Portal | Complete Pharma Updates