Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm) Tribhuvan University IOM
Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm) Tribhuvan University IOM
T.U. Institute of Medicine (IOM) has been a pioneer institute in health professions education in Nepal. Over the last three decades, IOM has demonstrated its commitment to produce different categories and levels of Human Resource for Health (HRH) as per the changing needs of the nation. In response to the growing demand for the quality pharmacy manpower required for the country (National Drug Policy, 1995) and along with the national and regional-level policy to develop pharmaceutical education in academic institutions, the Institute of Medicine has been entrusted to offer that opportunity to the country. Looking retrospectively, IOM has established its credibility over the decades through creatively blending the progressive world trends in health profession education with country-specific national and local needs. Prospectively, as a public institution in the forefront, it has the responsibility and challenges to produce qualified health personnel with minimum resource input that the larger public could afford in the long run.
In this context, keeping in view of the formal request made by Ministry of Health to the IOM, the curriculum for B. Pharm. was designed and Bachelor of Pharmacy Program was started in 2000 AD (2057 BS).
In a way, the need to launch a B.Pharm course at the TU-IOM was a direct response to a huge demand in the Pharmacy human resources needed for the country. Partly, it was also a response to the call at regional level to formulate proposals to develop undergraduate, post graduate and continuing education of pharmacists in the country as recommended by the WHO consultative meeting at New Delhi in Dec. 1988.
The course of B.Pharm.has been introduced at the Institute of Medicine in the year 2000 AD. Since the inception of this curriculum the course has been introduced in Maharajgunj Medical Campus (MMC) and various campuses affiliated to IOM.The need for revision or modification of the curriculum has been felt for a long time. The shifting of pharmacy profession from product-oriented to patient-oriented had made the compulsion for modification of the curriculum accordingly and hence the Department of Pharmacy, IOM has initiated the process for the updating of the curriculum. Strategies of this curriculum focused on Problem Based, Learning, Self Directed Learning, Cometency Based Learning, Evidence Based learning, Community Oriented Learning, Integrated Teaching Learning and Need Based.
The Department of Pharmacy, after numerous consultations with experts from different departments of MMC, as well as affiliated campuses of IOM, has prepared a draft of the updated curriculum considering the various aspects of the current contents and to give the students more relevant information pertaining to the course, which will eventually help them in their endeavour of becoming responsible health professionals.
Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm) Tribhuvan University IOM Goals
The goal of the curriculum is to produce qualified pharmacists who could provide pharmaceutical services, research and education in the capacity of:
- Community and hospital pharmacist
- Herbal drug development experts
- Drug/medicines regulatorss
- Specialists in technology and research
- Managers of pharmaceutical services
- Specialists in various scientific aspects of pharmacy
The basic professional education will enable the graduates to demonstrate a broad understanding of the scientific principles and techniques of the pharmaceutical sciences. At the same time, it will also enable them to continue their studies to undertake postgraduate training and research. The curriculum has been inspired by the values that pharmacists should be the vital members of the health care team and on graduation they will hold job either in government or private sector in important areas such as community pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, regulatory control and drug management, pharmaceutical industry, quality assurance, academic activities, training activities and research.
Objectives Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm)
In order to provide quality services in the above-mentioned areas, the graduates will be able to
- Maintain professional dignity and respect
- Demonstrate broad understanding of the scientific basis of the specialty of pharmacy
- Integrate and apply the skill and knowledge in practice creatively as per requirement in various pharmacy related areas confidently
- Appraise critically the national legislation on drug and related fields, National Health Policy and National Drug Policy and other regulations related to pharmacy in the context of total health care system of Nepal
- Show the leadership for collaborative research projects
- Recognize and promote alternative perspectives in the effective utilization of natural resources available within the country
- Demonstrate competence in searching, handling and integrating information and applying knowledge, skills and attitudes in professional problem solving.
Competencies to be achieved by B. Pharm graduates
B. Pharm graduates should acquire knowledge, skill and attitudes, which will enable them to
- Demonstrate handling, dispensing, procurement, drug storage, formulation and small/large scale production.
- Maintain professional ethics and code of conduct
- Communicate effectively with different healthcare professionals and stakeholders
- Demonstrate professional competence to work as member of the multiprofessional health care team
- Counsel the patients
- Maintain Interpersonal Relationship Skill with Patients, Doctors, Nurses and other healthcare professionals.
- Perform as a team member of health workers in clinical setting.
- Evaluate drug-interaction and avoid drug incompatibility.
- Provide drug and poison information to the doctors, health personneland users.
- Manage the hospital pharmacy.
- Provide over-the-counter (OTC) drugs rationally to the community and generate awareness.
- Monitor the implementation of National Drug Policy and drug regulations.
- Plan, manage and evaluate retail and wholesale pharmacies and drug industries.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct further studies & research work on different pharmaceutical fields.
- Perform as a teacher in educational institutions.
- Perform drug quality assessment using different methods.
- Monitor and evaluate quality assurance system serving as GMP superintendent in drug industry.
- Inspect the drug manufacturing plant, storage conditions, drug handling, drug distribution, use and record keeping.
- Perform in an industry as a production manager, marketing manager or quality control manager.
- Perform on the capacity of Good Manufacturing Practitioner and as advocator of WHO/GMP.
- Demonstrate the promotion of ‘Certificate of Pharmaceutical Products ‘moving in the international commerce.
Duration of the course: The course is for four academic years, concentrating mainly on professional pharmacy courses and the supplementary subjects which are essential for the professional pharmacy courses.
Entry criteria into the programme and entrance exam: Passed 10+2 Science (Biology Group) or Equivalent securing at least 50% separately in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with 50% aggregate in total marks OR Secured at least C+ grade separately in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with at least C grade in remaining individual subjects along with GPA 2.4 OR Secured the percentage equivalent to above eligibility in regards to the certificate level programs (A-Level) with different grading system
Applicants who have passed the Health Science Proficiency Certificate Level in respective PCL program (General Medicine, Medical Lab Technology, Ophthalmic Science, Dental Science, Pharmacy) with at least 50% aggregate in total marks
The number of student intake: The number of intake per year will be as per the rules of IOM. (Generally 30 in Maharajgung Medical Campus and 40 in affilated Campus)
Medium of instruction and examinations: Medium of instruction and examination shall be in English.
The first year consists of six-theory papers and three practical carrying a total load of 990 Teaching Hours (46) including both theory and practical. In the second year, there are six theory papers and six-practical carrying a total load of 1080 Teaching Hours (48). In the third year, there are seven theory papers and three practical carrying a total load of 900 Teaching Hours (48) and in the fourth year there will be four theory and one practical paper carrying a total load of 450 Teaching Hours (36). The course consists of total of 3420 Teaching Hours (178). Apart from these papers, a 3 months’ period is allotted to Dissertation and a 2 months time is allotted to the in-plant training in the fourth year.
Career Opportunity Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm)
The role of the Pharmacists is expanding day by day. On the other hand, the number of Pharmacists in Nepal is quite limited. Therefore, there is a great employment opportunity for the Pharmacists within Nepal or in foreign countries. In general, a Pharmacist can choose following area to build the career.
• University (Education and Research)
• Pharmaceutical Industry
• Pharmacy (retail pharmacy)
• Governmental Drug Administration
• Drug Research Laboratory
• Health Research Council
• Adverse Drug Reaction Monitoring Service
• Health Food Development
• Natural Medicine Resource Development
Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm) Tribhuvan University IOM Subjects to Read
- Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry – I
- Pharmacology – II
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutics – I
- Medicinal Chemistry – II
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Pharmacology – II
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance – I
- Pharmaceutical Engineering
- Pharmaceutics – II
- Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance – II
- Ayurvedic and Herbal Technology
- Biostatics and Research Methodology
- Community Pharmacy and First Aid
- Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Management
- Pharmaceutics – III
- In – Plant Training in Hospital + Industry
Bachelor of Pharmacy(B.Pharm) Tribhuvan University IOM Affilated College in Nepal
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus IOM (30) Maharajgunj
- National Model College for Advance Learning (NMCAL) (40) Nist
- Sunsari Technical College (30) Dharan
- Janamaitri Foundation(LA) (40) Hattiban
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences (40) Soltimode
- Chitwan Medical College (40) Chitwan
- Universal College of Medical Sciences (40) Bhairahawa
- Gandaki Medical College (40) Pokhara
- Metrix College (Not allocated) Birgung
Rs. 725818 is cost to study Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) at Tribhuvan University IOM.
- B.Pharmacy Entrance Exam Syllabus
- B Pharmacy Entrance Exam Questions Specific Subject
- B Pharmacy Entrance Exam Questions
- 10 Best B Pharmacy College in Nepal