Banned Drugs in Nepal
Government of Nepal has banned the some medicines for production,sale-distribution and import here we mention banned drug list. The risk of misuse and abuse, irrational uses dangerous side effects, drugs are often banned. List of banned drugs in Nepal data is collection from Department of Drug Administration – DDA you can also visit DDA for more info regarding banned drug in Nepal.
1. Government of Nepal has banned the folowing medicines for production, sale-distribution and import (oral and parenteral use) on 2040/3/13
- Amidopyrin and its combinations.
- Phenacetin and its combinations.
- Clioquinol and its combinations.
- Combination of vitamins with tranquilisers and / or anti-inflammatory agents.
- Combination of antispasmodic atropine wth analgesics and antipyretics.
- Combinations of yohimbine and / or strychnine with testosterone and / or vitamins.
- Combinations of iron with strychnine and / or yohimbine and / or arsenic.
- Combinations of sodium bromide or chloral hydrate with other drugs.
- Combinations of antihistamines with antidiarrhoels or with antiamoebic.
- Combinations of vitamins with analgesics.
- Combinations of penicillins with sulfonamides.
- Combinations of vitamins C with tetracycline.
- Combinations of steroids with other drugs except with ephedrine and xanthines.
- Combinations of chloramphenicol except in combination with streptomycin.
- Combinations of vitamins with antitubercular drugs except in combinations of antitubercular drug isoniazide with vitamin B6.
- Combinations of ergot except with caffeine.
- Combinations of strychnine and / or caffeine in tonics.
2.Government of Nepal has banned oral rehydration salts for production, sale-distribution, storage, transportation and import/ export on 2043/2/19 which are not composed according to WHO’s formula.
Composition : (gm/litre) as recommended by WHO
3.Government of Nepal has banned the following medicines for production, sale – distribution, storage, transportation and import/export on 2047/8/3. The ban should not be applicable to the vetenary products and topical preparations.
- Oxyphenbutazone and Its Combinations.
- Phenylbutazone In Combination with other Drugs.
- Sulphaguanidine and Its Combinations.
- Tetracycline Liquid Oral Preparation
- Methapyrilene and Its Combinations.
- Nialamide and Its Combinations.
- Practolol and Its Combinations.
- Alcofenac and Its Combinations.
- Methaqualone and Its Combinations.
- Benoxaprofen and Its Combinations.
- Pipradrol and Its Combinations.
- Nitrofural and Its Combinations.
- Chlornaphazine and Its Combinations.
- Chlorphentermine and Its Combinations.
- Cloferex and Its Combinations.
- Diendestrol and Its Combinations.
- Hexextrol and Its Combinations.
- Xenazoic Acid and Its Combinations.
- Aminores and Its Combinations
- Aristolochic Acid and Its Combinations.
- Santonin and Its Combinations.
- Azaribine and Its Combinations.
- Amphetamine and Its Combinations
- Phenformin and Its Combinations.
- Diphenoxylate and Its Combinations in Liquid Dosage Forms.
- Lopermide and Its Combinations in Liquid Dosage Forms.
- Combinations of Narcotic Drugs Except the Following:
a) Combinations Containing Pholcodine and Codeine and their Salts as Cough Sedative.
b) Combinations of Codeine with Paracetamol and/or Aspirin in Ratio not Exceeding 1 : 50.
c) Combinations Containing an Antispamodic.
- Combination of Antipsychotic Drug (Neuroleptic) with Other Drugs Except with Anticholinergic Trihexyphenidyl.
- Combination of Antispamodic with Vitamin, Mineral and/or Enzyme.
- Combination of Antacid with Vitamins or Anti-Inflammatory Drugs.
- Combination of Antidiarrhoeal/Antibacterial with Electrolytes.
- Combination of Antitussive with an Expectorant in Cough syrup.
- Combination Containing Two or More Antihistamines.
- Combination of a Hormone with Vitamin.
- Combination of Disodium Hydrozen Citrate with Other Drugs.
- Combination of Ginseng with Modern Drugs.
- Combination of a Bronchodilator with Analgesic or Antipyretic.
- Combination of Cyproheptadine with Strychnine.
- Combination Product Containing Active Ingredients of Two or More Systems of Medicine (e.g. Ayurvedic, Allopathic, Unani, Homeopathic).
- Oral Liquid Vitamins, Vitamin – Enzyme/Vitamin – Amino Acid/Vitamin – Mineral, which do not Contain Vitamin in Therapeutic Dose as per Indian Drugs and Cosmetic Act (Volume not Exceeding 250 ml).
- Combination of Two or More Antibacterials Except the Following:
a) Combination Used for the Treatment of Tuberculosis.
b) Combination Used for the Treatment of Leprosy.
c) Combination of Two Antibiotics of the Penicillin Group.
d) Combination of Two or More Therapeutic Agents as Recognised by Standard Pharmacopoeia (as per the Rule No. 5 Appendix 1 of Star Niyamabali 2043 (Regulation on Standard of Drugs).
Therapeutic dose for vitamin based multi ingredient vitamin or tonic preparations. Vitamin unit preparations containing vitamins for Therapeutic use
a) Liquid (Pack size not exceeding 250ml); in single dose of 5,10 or 15ml; or maximum 30ml in daily divided dose of two to three times each in a multiple of 5ml.
One tablet / capsule maximum up to 3 times a day.
|Vitamin A, I.U||NLT 5000 and NMT 10000||NLT 1500 and NMT 5000|
|Vitamin D, I.U||NLT 400 and NMT 1000||NLT 100 and NMT 400|
|Vitamin B1, mg||NLT 4.5 and NLT 10||NLT 1 and NMT 4.5|
|Vitamin, B6 mg||NLT 1.5 and NMT 3||NLT 1 and NMT 3|
|Niacinamide, mg||NLT 45 and NMT 100||NLT 10 and NMT 40|
|d-Panthnic acid or its salts and Panthenol, mg||NLT 5 and NMT 50||NLT 2.5 and NMT 10|
|Folic acid, mg||NLT 1000 and NMT 1500||NLT 100 and NMT 500|
|Vitamin B12, mcg||NLT 5 and NMT 15||NLT 1 and NMT 5|
|Vitamin C, mg||NLT 75 and NMT 150||NLT 30 and NMT 80|
|Vitamin E, IU||NLT 15 and NMT 25||NLT 5 and NMT 20|
1. Vitamins intended for therapeutic use shall bear on the label the words “for therapeutic use-adult ‘or’ for therapeutic use-paediatric” as the case may be.
2. The above standards shall not be applied to any preparation containing single vitamin only & also to any preparation containing vitamins intended for parenteral use.
4. Government of Nepal has banned the folowing medicines for production, sale-distribution, storage, transportation and import/export. The ban should not be applicable to the veterinary products and topical preparations on 2049/11/18
Codeine or codeine based cough syrup except cough Syrup containing single codeine (active ingredient) 3 mg/5ml in a bottle not exceeding 60ml.).
- Combination of any antibacterial with another drug except the following
a) Combination used for the treatment of tuberculosis
b) Combination used for the treatment of Leprosy
c) Combination of two antibiotics of the penicillin group
d) Combination of two or more therapeutic agents of antibacterial group included in Pharmacopoeia, recognised as per the regulation on standards of drugs 2043, rule 5, appendix- 1)
3. Streptomycin in oral dosage from
4. Combination of Paracetamol or Aspirin except in the following
- Combination of Paracetamol or Aspirin with one nasal decongestant and one antihistamine
- Combination of Paracetamol or Aspirin (not exceeding 500mg) with codeine not exceeding 10mg in a tablet)
- Combination of Paracetamol either with Ibuprfen or with one muscle relaxant
- Combinations of Paracetamol or Aspirin with another drug, those are included in Pharmacopoeia recognised as per the Regulation on Standards of Drugs 2043, rule 5, appendix – 1
5. Meprobamate or its combination
6. Combination of anti-amoebic or anti-diarrhoeal drug except the following
- Combination of Metronidazole or Tinidazole with Diloxanide furoate
- Combination of diphenoxylate 2.5mg with Atropine 0.025mg in a tablet
7. All combinations of antiflatulant except with antacid or antispasmodic
8. Combination of cyproheptadine with another drug
9. All multi-ingredient based vitamin or Tonic preparations except the following
- Vitamin product in therapeutic dose as denoted in appendix-1 of this notice
- Therapeutic B-complex based product (Appendix-1) containing enzyme & / or aminoacid or protein or mineral)
- Combinations, of vitamin in therapeutic dose with another drug, that are included in pharmacopoeia, recognised as per the regulation on standards of drugs 2043.
Note: The following amendments have been made on the above ban list on 2050/9/5.
- The statement on 4(a) of the above notice has been defined as ” Combination of paracetamol or aspirin with one decongestant and / or one antihistamine.”
- The following catagories of formulations will be exempted from the provision of 9 of the above notice.
5. Government of Nepal has banned the following medicines for production, sale-distribution, storage, transportation and import/export on 2054/4/16. The ban should not be applicable to the veterinary products and topical preparations.
- Liquid preparations containing sodium bicarbonate intended for use in children.
- Analgin (Metamizole) and its combinations